Management by Walking Around improves profits. The Sales Manager of this company had a terrible habit which I quickly corrected. He would sit in his office and do stuff. As far as I was concerned, none of the work that he was doing was valuable to the company or me.
I needed a Sales Manager who:
- Train the sales staff.
- Lead the sales staff.
- Generate new sales leads.
- Motivate the salespeople.
- Lead weekly sales meetings.
- Attended sales calls with sales staff.
- Set goals for each of the sales staff.
- Assist in closing deals on the sales calls.
- Create performance reviews for each of the salespeople.
- Suggest and manage sales contests to motivate the sales team.
- Meet with the sales staff after the sales call and share what they did right and areas where they need to improve.
- Produce sales reporting to assist in managing the sales team.
- Review all sales literature and update, if applicable.
- Meet with vendors to search for new products to be sold by the sales team.
Management by walking around improves cash flow!
Very few of these items listed above requires the sales manager to be in his office for extended periods during the day. I believe that a sales administrative employee could have handled many of the tasks that he was doing during the day. His primary responsibility was to generate more sales for the company, and there were no sales taking place in his office.
If you are managing a company, sitting in your office, or your management team is sitting in their office all day, that does not create a profitable business. Do not hide from managing the company’s employees. The more productive they are, the more the company is going to be successful.
Management by walking around improves profits!
My name is Robert Curry, and I am an Author, CEO Coach, Keynote Speaker, and Turnaround Specialist. Over the past 20 years, I have worked with more than 70 companies taking their businesses from Loses to Profits.
Please click on the links below to read my other articles like Management by Walking Around about business!
Recently, I published two books about turnarounds: “From Red to Black – A Business Turnaround” and “The Turnaround.” Both books are true stories about turnarounds of real companies that I have turned around during my career. In both books, I shared all my Profit Improvement Recommendations (“PIR’s”). PIR’s help to grow sales, reduce expenses, improve cash flow, and most importantly, strengthen the management teams.
If the information in this article Management by Walking Around! helps you, your family or a business associate, please email me at email@example.com and please share the story with me.
If you would like to purchase either or both books autographed by the author, please click on the following link: Redtoblackbooks.com.